Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Godfather



In honor of Godfather Week on AMC I bought a double wide of Yellow Tail Shiraz-Cabernet(11$), Rainbow Pasta(enriched with spinach, tomato and carrot,2$), Newman's Own Pasta Sauce(2$), chicken breast(2 for 4$), and 'Manager Special' Baby Bella Mushrooms(1$).

I started heating a pan on high while salting and peppering a chicken breast. Once the corn oil started smoking I cut the heat by half and laid the breast in pan, dropping the end I was holding away from me to reduce the risk of an oil burn. I set a small cast iron skillet on top to add weight. This reduces cook time and improves the sear, adding color and texture. After the breast starts to whiten on around the edges, I flip it and replace the skillet. When the breast is almost done(it will continue to cook off the heat) I remove it to cool, add more corn oil, chili flake, and chopped garlic. Before the garlic browns I add sliced Baby Bellas and diced white onion. As the garlic starts to brown I add a splash of wine and a third of the Newman's Own. Once it starts to simmer I added more wine, the pulled chicken breast, and a handful of cooked pasta. I brought it to a simmer again and killed the heat. After tossing with chopped parsley and shredded cheddar(Cabot's Seriously Sharp White) I plated and added half a buttered everything bagel. I filled my wine and sat down in time to see Luca Brasi get choked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment